This soup is absolutely fab! very moreish!
it is completely adaptable too! swap one type of sausage for another, one meat for another etc and so on....
for example, we do not use celery (our family members such fuss pots)
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound (226g) sausage (cut into small pieces) We use German sausage, a different one each time, really mixing it up.
1 cup (150g) onion (diced)
1/2 cup (110g) celery (diced)
1/2 cup (90g) bell pepper (diced)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
6 cups (1350ml) ham broth or chicken broth or chicken stock (or any stock you fancy)
2 cups(ish) (250g) yellow split peas
1 ham hock diced (450g meat, we use pork)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. cook your sausage in any way you wish (as you usually do) or if you have a pre-cooked variety, skip this step.
2. put the oil, in the bottom of your pressure cooker
3. chop your sausages, and add them to your pot.
4. Add, the onions, Celery, Bell peppers, garlic, stock, split peas, meat, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper to your instant pot (or electric pressure cooker)
5. for Instant pot, set timer to manual, 15 minutes. for other Electric pressure cookers, adjust time to cook for 15 minutes once at full pressure.
6. let the pressure cooker 'sit' for around 10-15 minutes after cooking finishes
7. release pressure (this takes a while)
8. stir your soup thoroughly, after a good stir, this soup should be nice, soft and thick.
9. serve and enjoy (maybe with some liquid seasoning on top)